Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Artimisan Zeus or Poseidon


This, one of the most famous Greek pieces preserved, was created somewhere around 460-450 BC (and is categorized as a peice from the period of transition). I'm not going to write anything elaborate on the details of the identification (There is no agreement on which God this should be, Zeus of Poseidon? The key lie in the lost weapon wielded in the right hand) , but I think that it is important to notice that not even a famous find like this is securely identified - it is notoriously difficult to provide such identifications for a great deal of pieces.

Anyway, it's a beautiful statue and well worth a picture in my opinion.

I would also like to explain why I want to go through some artifacts from this "period of transition". The answer is very simple - when I was taught Greek art I received the impression that the art changed almost over night from archaic to classical. That is of course not the case, and this period of transition is therefore important.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the article is in the Dutch language, but the writer proves it is Zeus. (Published in the magazine for historians Spiegel Historiael.)
http://www.veltmaete.nl/wp-content/uploads/zeus-of-poseidon.pdf
And: http://www.veltmaete.nl/ho-pais-kalos/?nggpage=4

Kind regards,
Werner

Patrik Klingborg said...

I should be able to handle Dutch, even though it'll take some time Seems like a weekend project. Thanks a lot for the letting me know about the article, it's very much appreciated!