Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Marathon and the Amphiaraus sanctuary

I really wish that I could spend more time working on this site, but I've got far too little time on my hands and I'm far too tired to actually get anything done.


This is the mound where the dead Athenian heroes from Marathon are supposed to be buried. I can not but wonder thou, how can the mound still be visible today if it was excavated? It seems logical to assume that what we see today is a reconstruction.


Here you see the inside of the mound of the dead soldiers from Plataea (only eight bodies were found!), probably buried where they fell.


A front row chair for one of the priests in the small theatre at the sanctuary of Amphiaraus.


This is actually (probably) a piece of an ancient original cult statue, more exactly the left arm.

No comments: